Adaptive Martial Arts Classes in Goshen, NY
Adaptive Martial Arts Classes
Family Martial Arts prides itself on its work with neuro-diverse and physically diverse students. We do not believe in limiting students based on their “labels”. We have extensive experience with students with ADD/ADHD, ASD, SPD, TBI, PDD, as well as those with physical differences. Master Marmo is a certified Para-Tae Kwon Do instructor as well as a certified Adaptive Martial Arts Instructor. She has been working with diverse populations since the late 1990s. If you have a student with special needs, please reach out to us so we can get to know you and your family. We offer small group and private lessons for those who may need more individual attention or are not yet ready for a group setting.
Introducing the Internationally Acclaimed Spectrum SKILLZ Program!
This program was designed to target children on the spectrum for ages 7 and up. The program introduces specialized skill-based training for children who have limited physical, intellectual, social, and emotional abilities. With that said, more emphasis is placed on building fundamental skills training with a strategic balance of Martial Arts.
We cover one of the following skills per class (in order). During each class, we run a warm-up, deliver a mat chat about the skill, run two or three skill-building drills, and then we have them demonstrate the skill to earn their skill-stripe. They must earn all 8 skill stripes in order to graduate to the next belt level. Once they earn their next belt, they will continue to run through all 8 skills earning their skill-stripes with more challenging curriculum as they advance to each rank. They graduate into one of the age-specific SKILLZ programs after they have successfully completed all 9 belt ranks of the program.
Here is an example of what a white belt must demonstrate for each skill to earn their next belt:
- Awareness: Ducking under targets swung at them to build up special awareness and understanding of the correlation between a moving object and themselves while processing the speed and movement, of other objects.
- Detailing: Demonstrate proper punches while applying fine motor skills in a simple manner to make it easier to eventually process more intricate movements.
- Observing: Name techniques demonstrated by the instructor to build the ability to maintain longer than normal eye contact to develop increased focus and attention span.
- Listening: Demonstrate punches on a metronome beat to correlate sounds with the timing of their punches to pick up and process audio cues.
- Communication: Explain how to do 1 of your techniques using verbal skills so that the students can learn to communicate with their peers and instructors more effectively using their own words.
- Retention: Perform 3 basic blocks and strikes called by the instructors to practice retaining information and building long-term memory which will lead to a better understanding of their techniques.
- Durability: Perform simple static warm-ups to increase muscle tone throughout the upper and lower body, as well as their core.
- Determination: Students will break boards to help them learn to become more comfortable with the sensations, sounds, and emotions associated with breaking boards.
As you can see, we take martial arts training to a whole new level!
We use core elements of traditional martial arts and combine them with contemporary teaching techniques, science, and psychology while utilizing an in-depth understanding of how kids on the spectrum learn and grow. This means that your child will learn and grow at a pace that is appropriate for them in a fun stress-free environment.
The best part of the spectrum SKILLZ program is the physical, intellectual, emotional, and social growth you will see that will give them the edge.
Request Information About Our Programs!
Monday - Friday: 9:00 am to 8:30 pm